What is a Learning Pod?
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, many school districts across the country are continuing with remote learning for the 2020-2021 school year. Parents worry that their children are not advancing academically or socially since they lack in-person teaching and are isolated from their friends. Learning pods to the rescue! A learning pod — also referred to as a pandemic pod, teaching pod, learning bubble, or micro-school — consists of a small group of children receiving guided education outside of school through a parent, tutor, or hired teacher.
How to Build a Learning Pod:
Parents considering forming learning pods should consider the following questions:
1.What are your academic goals?
- All-day coverage
- Academic support
- Enhancement of remote learning
- Learning through play
2. Are your children going to be safe?
- Are the other families following the same social distancing practices?
- Do you have adults available to lead the pod, or will you hire a private teacher?
- Where will your learning pod be held?
- Will you require regular testing for everyone?
- Will you have mixed grade pods?
- If so, are you familiar with the pros and cons of mixed grade learning pods?
The Pros of Learning Pods:
- individualized learning plans
- minimizing health risks
- flexible hours and days
- helps kids stay motivated
- higher concentration
- greater confidence
- higher course completion
- greater engagement
- mental health
- support for working parents
What parents need to be aware of :
- Choosing the right curriculum can be stressful.
- Researching state homeschool requirements can be confusing.
- Is someone ensuring that your teacher is following proper CDC guidelines and social distancing protocol?
- Does your teacher have all the necessary credentials?
- Do you have a substitute if your teacher becomes ill or quits?
- Do you have insurance for all students and teachers in your home in case someone gets injured?
- Are you receiving updates and progress reports from the teacher?
- Is your child learning at their pace and to their academic ability?
- Learning Pods do not always work well for high school students since, being in the same grade does not necessarily mean you are taking the same subjects.
Groza Can Provide a Safe Alternative:
- Fully Vetted, Experienced, Insured Teachers/Tutors.
- 18+ years of reputable history in providing personal tutors.
- Learning and Grade Level Assessments
- Customized Learning Plans
- Customized Curriculum
- Learn from the safety of your home with an in-person or online teacher
- Learn in our center, which follows strict CDC guidelines
- Full transparency with detailed academic updates for parents
- Regular COVID testing for teachers and staff
- Peace of mind
For more information about our Learning Pods and Homeschool Programs:
Email: [email protected]